[Lazarus] Documentation and Help for Lazarus (content)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 10:55:31 CEST 2009

Mattias Gärtner schrieb:

>> In PasDoc2 I imported inherited descriptions automatically, so that
>> only really overridden behaviour must be documented, when it really
>> does something different, or when it implements an abstract and
>> unspecific method. This can also reveal in which class a method or
>> property has been introduced, when the search starts in TDerived.ident
>> and the help mentions TBase.ident.
>
> The fpdoc help of the IDE (mouse hints) shows every fpdoc entry
> including all ancestor entries and all pasdoc comments, including all
> ancestor entries.
> We have already a bug report from Graeme that this is too much.

It's too much, indeed. It IMO also shows that inline documentation (in
the source code) is not very useful in class trees, where every derived
class would either have no immediately visible comments, or would
duplicate (possibly outdated) specs from the base classes - a
maintenance nightmare :-(

For separate documentation a flag may be helpful, indicating whether the
entry should replace or only extend the information, found in ancestor
classes. A flag also could indicate the availability of information in
ancestor classes, so that it's immediately obvious where missing
information has to be added at all (newly introduced item), and where
duplicate information should be omitted (inherited item).

DoDi