[Lazarus] custom output filename when rebuilding Lazarus IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Tue Dec 1 13:11:32 CET 2009

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> Why do you rename it?
> I guess with 'stable' lazarus a 0.9.28 plus stable packages and the
> unstable is the 0.9.29 plus unstable packages, right?

I use both from inside the same /opt/lazarus/ directory. I do not binary
install Lazarus in any other directory. So when I switch branches (I'm
using Git repository), the directory doesn't change either. So no
separate lazarus directories for different versions of source code
(branches) either.

My use-case is probably different to most, because I don't use the LCL,
other than to compile the IDE. So between rebuilds I do a 'clean all'
before I build stable and unstable executables. The executables can run
on there own (very usable) without the need of correctly versioned *.ppu
files.

>> Can I override the default executable name ('lazarus') to something else?
>
> No.
> It would make startlazarus job hard to find the right executable and
> give advice when something went wrong.

OK. What is the actual point of 'startlazarus'? I never use it. I always
launch Lazarus directly from the 'lazarus' executable.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/