[Lazarus] QT bindings as defalt (was Release 1.0, part 2)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Dec 2 22:24:54 CET 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Phil Hess wrote:

> ----- "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graeme at mastermaths.co.za> wrote:
>
>>> The subtext is that with Delphi you can pull off the hat trick of a
>>> 2.3 million line app that sells for big bucks and where the client
>>> does not tolerate bugs or instabilities or excuses. Can anyone make
>>> that claim for Lazarus?
>>
>> Well, our application is not quite that big, sitting around 300,000
>> lines of code at the moment. Our product also sells well (I'm still
>> employed <wink>), and has an install base of over 15,000 computers.
>> So
>> yeah, I don't think we are doing to bad considering we are not using
>> commercial product like Delphi, but rather open source software like
>> FPC
>> and Lazarus.
>
> Well, I guess you can say you're within an order of magnitude of that 2.3 million lines.
>
> By the way, Delphi 2010 compiles that 2.3 million lines of code in 70 seconds, including linking and creating a map file.

Strange.
It takes longer to compile my work project, which is around 700.000 lines.
It takes up to 5 minutes to compile on any reasonable new computer.

Just to say:
Giving such numbers is quite dangerous, because It all depends on the
file layout, number of packages and whatnot.

For fun, I created a small program that creates program code for 2.3 million lines
distributed over 460 units (approx 6000 lines per unit), and a program that calls a
routine from each unit.

The 64-bit compiler compiles it all in 1m53s. Given that the 32-bit compiler is much
faster than the 64-bit one, I think it's close to a tie with Delphi.

Michael.