[Lazarus] [FPC] Install from sources

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:58:58 CET 2009

Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:35:54 +0200
> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also don't know why they decided to split FPC into so many .deb packages.
> AFAIK it is because of the Debian packaging rules.

Well, FPC is one product, so it should be one package. But then I don't
know Debian packaging rules or what they consider a single package on not.

So how is Lazarus packaged?

  lazarus-lcl
  lazarus-report
  lazarus-codetools
  lazarus-synedit
  lazarus-ide
  lazarus-component-xxx
  lazarus-component-xxx

????  As far as I know, Lazarus is 3 packages: docs, ide and src.

ide encapsulates all the individual parts: components, synedit, codetools
etc. which makes the ide work

fpc-compiler should also encapsulate: rtl, lcl etc. everything use as a
  compiler
fpc-docs: the name says it all
fpc-src: the name says it all.

So at most, FPC should also only be 3 packages, not 19! The FCL is an
integral part of FPC so it should be packaged as such.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/