[Lazarus] [FPC] Install from sources

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Dec 10 16:38:29 CET 2009

Zitat von Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> Reimar Grabowski wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:35:54 +0200
>> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I also don't know why they decided to split FPC into so many .deb packages.
>> AFAIK it is because of the Debian packaging rules.
>
> Well, FPC is one product, so it should be one package. But then I don't
> know Debian packaging rules or what they consider a single package on not.

Debian packaging rule is simple but strict:
A unit mysql.ppu needs mysql files, so some mysql package is required.

> So how is Lazarus packaged?
>
>   lazarus-lcl
>   lazarus-report
>   lazarus-codetools
>   lazarus-synedit
>   lazarus-ide
>   lazarus-component-xxx
>   lazarus-component-xxx

codetools and synedit are "components" too. They should follow the
same name scheme as say sqldb.

> ????  As far as I know, Lazarus is 3 packages: docs, ide and src.

Yes, and probably they will split it into more.
Don't forget they do the packages for their repositories, so the
number of packages is irrelevant. You just use "apt-get install
lazarus" and the rest is installed automatically. That's the only
purpose of their packages.
They don't care about "alien", or single file downloads.

> ide encapsulates all the individual parts: components, synedit, codetools
> etc. which makes the ide work
>
> fpc-compiler should also encapsulate: rtl, lcl etc. everything use as a
>   compiler
> fpc-docs: the name says it all
> fpc-src: the name says it all.
>
> So at most, FPC should also only be 3 packages, not 19! The FCL is an
> integral part of FPC so it should be packaged as such.

Mattias