[Lazarus] speed of SynEdit [Re: Wiki pages suggestion - feature comparison]

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Feb 22 19:23:41 CET 2009

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
>
> I can not work efficiently with Lazarus, due to two problems with the
> editor (LazSynEdit): it can become dead slow, needing seconds of
> computation for a single key stroke, and it doesn't support multiple
> edit windows. This is why I want to contribute to these issues, starting
> with a working docking manager for multiple edit and explorer windows.

Where exactly do you experience those speed issues?

If you use GTK1 or 2 you should use a font that is monospaces, and
exists in this size for bold and italic too. (And you must not use
ExtraCharSpacing). Otherwise there may be a slow down in painting. Yet
this can not be compared to other Editors, unless they allow the usage
of proportional fonts too, and they too force those into a grid.

If it turns out that the slowdown is in code tools, no matter which
editor it will be slow (maybe
http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13039 ?)
Is it slow, with none pascal files too?

However there is one known problem in SynEdit. The highlighter (turn it
off, and see if thinks get faster).
The good part is, it does have potential to be improved.
Also it should rarely matter. It only happens, if you enter a word that
opens, or closes a new fold block (like "begin")
For me it is not noticeable on 10000 Lines file like SynEdit.pp. I can
notice it on a 300k Lines file, if I go all to the top, and type begin.
There is a delay of a bit over a second, if I press the "n". The rest of
the typing is not slowed down.

If you have any other examples of slowness, please let me know.

Best Regards
Martin