[Lazarus] Not sure if the Laz Devs have seen this...

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Jan 24 11:46:43 CET 2009

I used git and mercurial at work for small projects to test things a
little bit and both are a real pain compared with svn and I saw no
increased productivity for small projects and I cannot imagine how this
should be different for fpc or lazarus.
- line ending conversion is at the same poor level as cvs: you often end
with full diffs by accident when working on different systems. Ok, I
admit editing files on a unix system through a samba share with a
windows editor is uncommon but I often do it and it breaks horrible with
git and hg.
- no blocking of revisions to merge: svnmerge has a nice feature which
allows to block revisions to be merged to a branch. This is neither
possible with git nor with hg as far as I can see and at least fpc uses
it heavily.
- I often forgot a hg up after an hg push/hg pull and ended with files
full of conflicts due to this.