[Lazarus] Not sure if the Laz Devs have seen this...

Reenen Laurie rlaurie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:33:13 CET 2009

I've not used Git, and know very little about it (except from reading the
above and some other articles)

However, there seems to be a "TortoiseGit" coming (
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/), although they rate it according to
TortoiseSVN = 100, TortoiseGit = 35... so it's not even close to where
they'd want it to be.

When TortoiseGit become TortoiseSVN = 100, TortoiseGit = 100, then I guess
the issue for support for Git on windows will be pretty much there... which
seems to be the major concern for projects like Lazarus... ie. very cross
platform, including windows.

Greame: Is your Git repository being updated with the SVN?  Or was it a once
off thing, and is now again a couple 100 revisions old or so?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:47:11AM +0100, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > > I just thought you might be interested in this:
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/21/git_gaining_ground/
> >
> > Git is certainly promising (I keep an eye on it since some time),
> > but a bit hard on the beginning programmer.
>
> While I don't know Git, comments that I hear is that if you don't use the
> distributed functionality heavily, common tasks take longer not shorter.
> Some blame the principles, some the (implementation of the) tools.
>
> The article above is like many about GIT. All full of great technology,
> little about daily use.
>
> > If there is an interest, then maybe we can set up a git mirror of
> > the SVN repository; There seem to be tools for this.
> > I believe we have already a mercurial mirror, so we're open-minded :-)
>
> IMHO main repository change is prohibited till after (FPC) 3.0, unless
> emergencies occur.

o__
,_.>/ _
...speed is good