[Lazarus] The default Lazarus profile directory location

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:50:33 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl>:

> Maybe we should create a GetAppConfigDir branche for Graeme and let him
> develop all the needed changes.

My custom branch is available on GitHub, including the upstream
(untouched clean) branch. Note though, that I have not pushed my
custom changes to GitHub in a few weeks.

> moving primary config paths to paths with spaces and special (non-ascii)
> characters.

And here I thought Lazarus with utf-8 support can handle something as
simple as that without blinking an eye. Was I wrong in that
assumption?  If I was, then I would seriously start worrying if I was
a LCL user.

> That is the less concise version of "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it".

Well it just amazes me that some poor developer went through all the
trouble in removing the hard-code "c:\lazarus" primary config
directory to use GetAppConfigDir(false), yet the other platforms are
still stuck with the old behavior. That might be an indicator to the
Lazarus core developers, that the right hand doesn't know what the
left hand is going, and that the various platforms might get even more
fragmented and fragile over time.

But that's just me thinking crazy thoughts again. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -