[Lazarus] jQuery interface for fcl-web

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Jun 8 11:56:42 CEST 2009

Op maandag 08-06-2009 om 07:59 uur [tijdzone +0700], schreef Bee:
> > (I saw something about a cgi-connection or something?)
>
> ExtPascal has CGI gateway which accept request and forward it to an
> FCGI application. You may look at how it works here:
> http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/wiki/Overview
>
> > Extpascal is nice, but Ext JS is dual-licensed, which is a problem for
> > some people. And it's fcgi-only. (I saw something about a cgi-connection
> > or something?)
>
> I could understand if ExtJS license becomes problem for some people.
> But I don't understand why FCGI is the problem, unless you want to
> host your application in common web hosting that doesn't provide FCGI.
> I myself moved from Powtils to ExtPascal because it supports FCGI
> (long before fpWeb supports FCGI). I got significant performance boost
> and enhance my development productivity because I can debug it as if
> it's a normal (desktop) application.

That's all fine, but imho the fcl-web design is far more flexible.
Adding fcgi-support was only two hours work. Other systems can be added
as wel. Next on my list is a native web-server using lnet, so that
debugging is even easier. (I'm absolutely sure that posting all messages
about fcl-web not supportinf fcgi was more work then actually adding the
support)

> > So I've made a simple proof-of-concept. I didn't think the design
> > through, a lot can be changed. It's not only nound to jQuery, it should
> > be possible to use other javascript-frameworks. First version used
> > Qooxdoo, but I didn't really liked it...
>
> Why don't you like qooxdoo? I thought it's the best alternative for
> ExtJS despite it's not yet released as v.1 (like Lazarus). It's code
> is neat, it's OOP is good (in fact IMO it's closer to object pascal),
> it's widget collection is quite complete, it's theming is easy and can
> be done through code, and it's development is pretty active. I'm about
> to working on it after ExtPascal is done with ExtJS v.3.0.

First of all it needs additional steps to work. You need to run a
python-script to make everything work.
Further it's really client-based. It's primary goal is to build
client-side-fat-applications. In such a way that you don't need any
server-side code.

You can use inlined components, but you have to add several hacks to
make it possible for a server-application to change the look of the
client.

Bu that was all resolved, but then I tried to bind some real data to a
grid, and there the documentation failed me. All examples were using
this.generate_random_data or something. Well, that's kinda useless.

I've found a framework to bind to real data, but that was all
experimental and only available in upcoming versions.

That was enough for me to look if I could find something more suitable.
> Nice! BTW, it's funny people keep using .psp extension for pascal web
> applications (pascal server page?). I also use .psp extension! :D

I think it's a good habit, so people might recognize Pascal-web
applications.

Joost.