[Lazarus] GPL'ed projects and closed-sourced tools

Matt Henley nwmatt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:42:31 CET 2009

My understanding and I am not a lawyer is that you are correct.. The
gpl faq addresses this (
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html ):

I'm writing a Windows application with Microsoft Visual C++ (or Visual
Basic) and I will be releasing it under the GPL. Is dynamically
linking my program with the Visual C++ (or Visual Basic) run-time
library permitted under the GPL?

The GPL permits this because that run-time library normally
accompanies the compiler or interpreter you are using. So it falls
under the exception in GPL section 3.
That doesn't mean it is a good idea to write the program so that it
only runs on Windows. Doing so results in a program that is free
software but “trapped” (in this case, trapped by Windows instead of by
Java, but the effect is the same). (Historical note: As of December
2006 Sun is in the middle of rereleasing its Java platform under GNU
GPL.)