[Lazarus] Easiest way to "case" strings

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 09:07:02 CET 2009

Alexander Klenin schrieb:

>> Many Delphi extensions to the Pascal language break fundamental design
>> rules. It's bad enough that FPC (and Lazarus) has to support such
>> aberrations for compatibility reasons,
>
> I agree that some extensions were suboptimally designed, in particular
> dynamic arrays,
> but "aberrations"? Can you give an example?

Delphi 2 (or 3?) was the last version with a grammar for the language.
After that version the supplied "OPL grammar" is neither correct nor
complete, the language is no more LL(1).

> While I deeply respect Wirth's contributions to programming language design,
> I think Modula and especially Oberon are not the best sources for inspiration.

I dare to disagree.

> Object Pascal has log ago taken different direction -- for example,
> if we "take into account" Oberon, then we should, as a first step,
> remove strings, classes, virtual functions and "for" loop.
> I do not think this is a good way to evolve FPC ;-)

Please note that I don't ask for Modula or Oberon compatibility, even if
it were fine to have such modes.

DoDi