[Lazarus] Easiest way to "case" strings

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 10:18:05 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 18:07, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Delphi 2 (or 3?) was the last version with a grammar for the language.
> After that version the supplied "OPL grammar" is neither correct nor
> complete, the language is no more LL(1).
It is historically interesting, but does it really matter?
The important characteristic of the syntax is its convenience to humans,
and if that requires slightly more work from the compiler, then so be it.
AFAIK, most modern compilers moved to recursive descent parsers
due to similar reasons.

>> While I deeply respect Wirth's contributions to programming language design,
>> I think Modula and especially Oberon are not the best sources for inspiration.
> I dare to disagree.
Present your examples then ;-)

>> Object Pascal has log ago taken different direction -- for example,
>> if we "take into account" Oberon, then we should, as a first step,
>> remove strings, classes, virtual functions and "for" loop.
>> I do not think this is a good way to evolve FPC ;-)
>
> Please note that I don't ask for Modula or Oberon compatibility, even if
> it were fine to have such modes.
Of course, I understand that. My examples were aimed not at direct
compatibility, but the spirit of minimalism that was the driving force
of the Modula/Oberon design.
Besides that, what useful features do you think
Object Pascal / FPC might take from Oberon?

--
Alexander S. Klenin