[Lazarus] a bit off topic documentation for Firebird explain plan

ik idokan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:52:51 CET 2009

Sayyid Ibnu Husein Al-'Aththÿffffffffffffffffe2s wrote:
> With regard to my 0013298
> <http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13298#c26380> report (
> http://bugs.freepascal..org/view.php?id=13298#c26380
> <http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13298#c26380> ), this is my
> comment about the "Trim Spaces Style" located in the editor options.
>
> In my opinion, the "Caret or Edit" mode should be the default mode
> although each mode listed there is reasonable/logical to be the
> default. The reason is merely because of the objective of FPC &
> Lazarus project.
>
> FPC is a multiplatform compiler which emulate Delphi, and Lazarus is a
> multiplatform IDE for FPC. Its consequence is that default behaviours
> of Lazarus editor should follow Delphi editor whenever possible,
> especially in basic functionalities.
>
> In fact, almost FPC/Lazarus users are either former or still Delphi
> users; and I tend to presume that at least a half of them (including
> me) are lazy in finding out and memorizing the default behaviour
> differences between those two editors.
>
> What do you think, guys?

I have updated the wiki
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Editor_Options#Trim_trailing_spaces
and put some explanations in what other issues there are with trimming
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/AboutTrimTrailingSpaces (especially
tabs, which previously did not work)

Some previous discussion can be found here:
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2008-October/020466.html

In general whatever expectation is made to Trimming spaces, have a
thought about how it would work in a meaningful way with:
- tabs (See wiki and previous discussion) they work, an exception was
made for the all new "position only mode" added today
  ( this includes auto-indent, if it is set to copy tabs)
- "Caret Past EOL": trim trailing spaces works independent of this. (the
new Position only mode, allows the caret to go Past EOL (even if the
option is off). But it only does so using tab or space key.

Since there have been various discussions by now, it crystallizes that
there are 2 main groups of users:
1) People who do not use/need tabs, and don't want to see any trailing
spaces (not even temporarily)
2) People who want to use tabs. And therefore have a need to have them
temporarily added

On 2: See the wiki about this behaviour. I think as long as they are
present (until they get trimmed) they should affect all (caret; end;
backspace and of course text typed behind them).
Making (within the same settings) some parts of Synedit obey those
temporary spaces/tabs and others not, does not seem a good idea to me.

For the 2nd group all of the modes that were available worked. For the
first group I have re-implemented the "position only" mode. (which
attempts to be as close to the original mode as possible (but will
convert tabs to spaces))

* As for the default. *
Since indeed a few people got irritated by the temporarily inserted
spaces, I have set it to "leave or edit line".

Best Regards
Martin