[Lazarus] Delphi wxWidget plugin for Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:08:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Ron Grove <ron.grove at me.com> wrote:
> I don't see anything in the video that prevented you from making edits
> in Lazarus.  He copies files back and forth for some reason, not sure
> what's up with that.  I don't have to do that because VMWare Fusion
> allows for pretty seamless file sharing.

>From what I could see in the video, he had to export the Delphi
project to a Lazarus project - which ended up in a separate directory.
I'm not sure if Delphi and Lazarus can share the same wxWidget based
project (the point I was trying to make).  Without actually trying it
myself, I have no real clue what is possible and what isn't.

> As for CodeGear benefitting from embracing FPC, I haven't bought the
> argument.  FPC and Lazarus would make a Windows only Delphi completely

As far as I see it, CodeGear is competing in the Developement
Environment market. To me, that is the IDE and VCL framework - not so
much the compiler. So by them embracing the Free Pascal compiler, they
already get a x-platform compiler (more than just Windows+Linux kylix
compiler). Now they simply need to tune the compiler for new language
features (D2009 language features etc) and build there VCL to be
truely x-platform like LCL does.

It's a three step process (to simplify things a lot.
 1) Use the FPC compiler and make the existing Delphi IDE work with
it. So CodeGear still gives Delphi developers all the IDE benefits and
plugins like ModelMaker support, UML designing etc which Lazarus IDE
doesn't have.
 2) Now they can start making VCL x-platform - similar to what LCL does.
 3) Release a new x-platform IDE based on the new x-platform VCL.

But yeah, this is all a pipe dream. CodeGear is fighting to stay alive
in a very competitive market - especially seeing that they limiting
themselves to targeting only the Windows market and trying to compete
with Microsoft and their tools.

Regards,
  - Graeme -