[Lazarus] IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)

Paul Ishenin ip at kmiac.ru
Wed May 6 04:40:42 CEST 2009

Alexander Klenin wrote:

> If there is a general agreement, I can prepare detailed proposal for
> consolidation,
> but as a quick sketch:
> 1) "Find procedure" should be merged into "Code explorer"

What is "Find procedure"? But since I dont use it I am not against :)

> 2) "Find in files", "Messages" and "Code observer" should be merged together,
> with interface most resembling "Find in files"

"Code observer" shows IDE hints which IDE builds on the fly. "Messages"
appeared only after some actions mostly with compiler. "Find in files"
is also not a process which IDE do without demand. It is difficult to
imagine how you want to combine them together.

If you want to just add tabs to the Messages window then I am not
againts. But maybe just better to dock Code explorer window into source
editor? Then you will see "Code observer" all the time.

> 3) "Unit list" (Ctrl+F12) should be merged into "Project Inspector"

How? If you want to remove Ctrl+F12 then I'm againts this change. We all
used to it. If you want to extend "Project Inspector" then it is ok.

> 4) "Find unused units" should be merged into "Unit dependencies"

It is a good idea.

Generally speaking consolidation idea is not bad. But each case should
be discussed. Some cases can be coverted by docking (for example code
explorer + source editor), some by merging dialogs (for example compiler
options + project options).

Please create a wiki page. After few revisions it can become a part of
roadmap.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.