[Lazarus] IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed May 6 12:34:05 CEST 2009

Zitat von Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I often use "Quick search" (Ctrl+E) for code navigation,
>
> How does "quick search" work?  I highlighted an identifier I want to
> seach for, pressed Ctrl+E. It showed "seaching" in the editor status
> bar, but nothing further. Sometimes it highlights a whole bunch of
> stuff like the letter "e". I'm a bit lost. :-(

Ctrl+e is in incremental find. It searches while you type.

see here
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_IDE_Tools#Incremental_Search

>> I think that while Lazarus IDE has many great features, they are not well
>
> I just think many of those feature are silently added with nobody
> knowing.

Well, they were added experimentally, then matured gradually over time.

>  Hence the reason I started the following wiki page.... to
> advertise those cool features and visually see what they do.
>
>   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/New_IDE_features_since
>

>> a common UI, thus giving greater exposure to all included features.
>
> The wiki pages is trying to give greater exposure as well - visually
> with animation.

:)

>> 1) "Find procedure" should be merged into "Code explorer"
>
> I don't know "Find procedure" where is that? I used the filter in "key
> mappings" and found "find procedure definition" and "find procedure
> method" using the age old Ctrl+shift+Up/Down.  I would have expected
> everybody to know the latter key mapping - it's what makes the Lazarus
> and Delphi IDE such a pleasure compared to other programming editors.

It's called 'procedure list' and its default key is Alt-G, which does
not work on all widgetsets.

>> 2) "Find in files", "Messages" and "Code observer" should be merged
>> together,
>> with interface most resembling "Find in files"
>
> I can't see how these can be combined. They are totally different
> features. Maybe the result windows could be docked though.

All floating windows should be dockable. We have already a docking
manager. The missing part is to finish the save/restore of the layout.

>> 3) "Unit list" (Ctrl+F12) should be merged into "Project Inspector"
>
> I guess, but I simply have the "project Inspector" window always open.
> So I simply click a unit to open it.
>

> As Paul suggested. I think docking is the key here... it will make
> many feature or windows more manageable.

Mattias