[Lazarus] Environment variables in IDE's search path

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 16 10:37:40 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM, dmitry boyarintsev wrote:

> the answer is simple. Project should not be bound to any IDE. So it's
> easily portable, from compiler-to-compiler.

You are confusing the point. Talking about IDE and then Compiler. They
are separate things.

The projects I write with Lazarus IDE are *not* bound to Lazarus. I
often switch to our remote 64bit linux server which doesn't have
Lazarus installed. Yet I still compile all our projects with ease.

Our projects include the .lpi files, and have separate .lps files (the
latter we discard at will and doesn't live in repositories). But those
.lpi files are purely for Lazarus IDE - the same way that the Delphi
IDE has .bproj files. These files are separate from the main "project"
file which is .lpr (lazarus) or .dpr (delphi).  The latter two are
just renamed .pas files.  So from the command line you can simply
compile the .lpr file just like you would have done with a .pas file.

tiOPF is a project that works with the Free Pascal Compiler and the
Delphi compiler. tiOPF currently supports the following: FPC 2.2.4,
2.2.5 (haven't tested 2.3.x recently but last time I did, it did
work), Delphi 7, 2006, 2007, 2009.

So I would say Lazarus and Delphi can work together on the same source code.

> But first it's necessary to overcome a lazyness and to learn about
> Project templates... It's too hard :)

It's really not that hard. I simply to an example add-on and modified
it slightly for tiOPF and fpGUI projects. The new "project templates"
feature in Lazarus IDE is even easier. Simply copy (yes the hard to
use copy command) a template project into the "Templates" directory.
There is one text file to give a discription of the new project which
is rather easy to edit with any text editor.

So no, I do not consider it hard. Hey we are programmers after all -
nothing is to hard. ;-)  But honestly, it is not difficult to create
project add-on or even simpler, using the new "project templates"
feature.

Regards,
  - Graeme -