[Lazarus] Visual database design software

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:07:51 CEST 2009

2009/5/28 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>:

> It is planned, but it is one thing among many.

Ah, one can dream.  :-)

> For firebird, I use IBAdmin (now called Firebird & Interbase studio) since
> years:

And it's half the price of Dezign for Databases. Though Design does
support a few more database backends and by the looks of it a few more
features.  I guess you pay for what you get. :)

Dezign supported databases:
Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, IBM DB2, Firebird, InterBase, MS Access,
PostgreSQL, Paradox, dBase, Pervasive, Informix, Clipper, Foxpro,
Sybase, SQLite, ElevateDB, NexusDB, DBISAM and more...

Needless to say, an impressive list.

> Well, the lazarus data desktop is meant just to do this kind of thing - just
> create a Data dictionary - but it lacks a visual interface. All data
> structures are there, there is code to make a diff between 2 databases and
> whatnot.

Impressive. It imported by database structure into the data
dictionary. With a few mistakes, but nothing major.

It seems to also have the ability to generate CREATE TABLE statements,
but unfortunately the GUI interface limits you to one table at a time.

In the mean time, I'm fixing a few other issues with LazDataDesktop.
I'll submit my patches shortly into Mantis.

Regards,
  - Graeme -