[Lazarus] Astronomy Software

Terry A. Haimann terry at HaimannOnline.com
Sun Nov 15 23:24:31 CET 2009

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Terry A. Haimann wrote:
>
>> For what it is worth I have created a project on SourceForge
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/messier/) with my Astronomy Program.
>> It is a basic Observing Planning and Logging Program. It is of course
>> written in Lazarus (I converted it from Delphi) and got most of the
>> Algorithyms from "Practical Astronomy with Your Calculator" By Peter
>> Duffet-Smith.
>>
>> There are two major things I would like to add to it:
>>
>> 1. Using a report generator instead of Printer.Canvas.TextOut
>> Statements.
>> 2. I would like to merge it with Planetarium Program. I could do this
>> with Cartes Du Ciel 2.76, but not the newer SkyChart and since my
>> primary audience is going to be Linux Users, I really don't want to
>> use a Windows App.
>
> You can always try lazreport. I have a cross-platform app working with
> it.
>
> Michael.
>
> --

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have looked at RTF when it was a Delphi App. I found it would loose a
couple lines of the report at page breaks, maybe the Lazarus Component
is better. I have also looked at Lazreport, but don't know enough about
how to do it. In the RiseAndSet Report, the select is exported into a
binary tree for update and then sorting. I had to do this for
performance and was unsure of how to import that into something like
LazReport. As far as supporting a Windows version, there are already
many apps that do this in Windows and a lot better then I can (Some for
the Mac too. ) Most of them have huge databases (1 million + records)
which I have no idea how to put together. The databases I have are
pulled out of Excel Spreadsheets and messaged in MySQL. As far as
importing into Excel/OO Calc, I have exported data to csv and then
imported that, but its a lot of trouble for the user. I do that though
for the standard report, which can be submitted to the Astronomical League.