[Lazarus] Multiple installations

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Nov 18 01:27:03 CET 2009

Martin wrote:
> waldo kitty wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>>> And last not least:
>>> - Never mind where you installed Lazarus AND fpc => don't copy or
>>> move the folder later. All your config has this folder (including a
>>> file called fpc.cfg, in the fpc directory)
>>> - Try to avoid spaces and special chars in the path to lazarus and
>>> your project. (There had  been issues, some may be fixed, but I do
>>> not know)
>>
>> so in other words, do not try to install Laz/fpc package to "Program
>> Files" or "My Programs" or such :?
> I am not sure if 0.9.28 works with that. It may be fixed, it may not.
>
> 0.9.26 doesn't work, and also any projects in your user foled (which
> likely contains spaces) will have issues (even if lazarus is in
> c:\lazarus\)

yes, i ran into problems when i first installed laz some versions ago... no clue
as to what the problems were or how to even possibly try to correct them...
uninstalled and reinstalled several times before finally giving up in
frustration and taking the default location(s) at which point, most everything
worked...

> IIRC The problem is/was something like winres (a resource compiler,
> which is afaik from the mingw package.) winres does/didn't take spaces
> well.
> This could mean the issue will only be fixed, if it is fixed in the
> mingw project.

hummm... on the one hand, that doesn't seem right... doesn't mingw attempt to
duplicate much of windows capability or do i have that reversed and it
duplicates *nix capabilities on windows?