[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 18:43:17 CET 2009

2009/11/29 zeljko <zeljko at holobit.net>:
> ... but our problems still exists - gtk2 is
> blocking us at the moment.If we wait gtk2 fixes over small contributions,

And that is a classic case of "creeping requirements" that keep
postponing projects.

GTK2 wasn't even a v1.0 item, it was post-v1. But somewhere along the
line GTK1 was demoted and a new v1.0 requirement (GTK2) added.
Postponing the v1.0 release by months (at least).

Maybe v1.0 should then move back to make GTK1 the default - but that
might not be such a great idea, seeing that hardly any (if any) Linux
distro's ship with GTK1 pre-installed. I know Ubuntu definitely
doesn't.

So it took some 8-9 years to get GTK1 support where it is today. So if
we now apply that same timeframe to GTK2 before we can release Lazarus
1.0, that mean we can expect Lazarus v1.0 in some 8 years time. :-)

Maybe Lazarus should adopt the Ubuntu versioning system. Two digit
year + '.' + two digit month.

eg:
    If next lazarus release is in this coming January, it would be
    Lazarus 10.01

If "fixes" are applied to previous releases (similar to Ubuntu's Long
Term Support versions), then a single digit starting at one is applied
to the end.

eg:
  In June next year a new "fixes" release is applied to the January
2010 release, it would become:  Lazarus 10.01.1, then Lazarus 10.01.2
etc..

If in November next year a new trunk release is made, it would be:
  Lazarus 10.11

This is the most logical version system I have ever seen. It make it
easy to explain even to end-users. And I it can even work with Windows
built-in versioning type size (which I believe is 16bit values).

We are even considering applying such versioning to our own company software.

Here are some interesting reading about various versioning
implementations - clearly a mixed bag of ideas! Designed to confuse
the hell out of everybody.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

  - Graeme -