[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sun Nov 29 19:50:33 CET 2009

On sunnuntai, 29. marraskuuta 2009 20:05:28 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> GTK2 is also not the ideal widgetset for all Linux users - especially
> from a developer point of view, having to look at the GTK2 API. I
> personally dislike Gnome + GTK2 (from a user and developer point of
> view). Clearly other think the same, otherwise there wouldn't be
> efforts like from Felipe and friends to create a LCL-Qt widgetset.

Now I want to ask a (maybe stupid) question:
Why there need to be bindings for both GTK and QT?
They are not native platform UI libraries. They are multi-platform libraries.
If you bind to one of them, you already have support for many platforms.
Sounds like dividing developer efforts to me, too. Duplicated effort.
Choices are good but if it is already blocking a release of Lazarus it doesn't
make sense.

Juha Manninen