[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 21:53:56 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:

>> I still stand to my argument that wrapping
>> existing components on each platform (instead of creating custom
>> written ones) is a disaster!
>
> As far as I understood, it's an axiom of the lazarus project to use the
> native widgetset ;)

...what implies that not all components will be available or work the
same on all widgetsets :-(

While I agree that native look and feel is important for the acceptance
of applications, I disagree that *everything* must work the same on
every platform. A set of simple and commonly used components can be made
available on all platforms and widgetsets, but everything else should
not be considered as a release hindrance. He who wants easy
cross-platform development has to be happy with the common denominator
of the target platforms, or with a platform-independent solution like
fpGUI (Java...). And he who wants best integration into every target
platform will have to supply according specialization of his GUI and
related code.

I'd not whine when e.g. skins and themes are not implemented (in the
same way) for all platforms and components, which have no or different
support for such things. But I'd whine when I had to respect the special
requirements of *every* platform and component in my design and source
code, even if I do not want to support really *all* available platforms
and *every* possible eye candy.

Delphi "X" will come as a Windows hosted cross-platform development
system, and I wonder what set of components and properties it will
support. A Lazarus "X" version could provide the same just now, off the
shelf, *and* with a native IDE on every platform. It would do no harm to
remove some problematic features and components from an LCL "X", as long
as there exists no compatibility pressure (vs. Delphi "X"). The IDE
itself could become the proof of which components and features have to
work, in order to qualify the according part of the LCL for "X". In a
next step or branch all parts can be added to an LCL "X++", which are
not fully supported on all platforms.

DoDi