[Lazarus] Why does linux+fpc2.2.4+modern lazarus hang? [was: FindInvalidUTF8Character hanging linux hard?]

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Mon Nov 30 11:24:27 CET 2009

En/na Henry Vermaak ha escrit:
> 2009/11/30 Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es>:
>> An update: the program has been running for almost two weeks now (actually
>> 13 days) and I deployed it at the customer's site (crossing fingers).
>> This threw me into paranoia mode (I made a small modification to another
>> project and I used the original fpc version to avoid this kind of problems),
>> so I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers on how to debug this
>> on a virtual machine (what I found with google involves recompiling the
>> kernel with debug support and using a special pci card to generate a NMI
>> when the kernel gets stuck).
>
> The best way to do this is probably with netconsole.  This gets your
> kernel to spit out the printk messages over the network so you can use
> netcat on another machine to see the latest messages before the kernel
> hangs.  I don't know if there's a problem with doing this on a virtual
> machine.  Google around or read the kernel docs to see how this works.

Just speculating at this point, but if it simply hangs (e.g. stuck in a
tight loop with interrupts disabled) it will be of no use.
With my previous tests on real hardware I could see no messages neither
on the console nor on a remote ssh session.
I though that, maybe, using a virtual machine, I could examine the
status of the guest, but I could not find anything in virtualbox
documentation.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007