[Lazarus] Why does linux+fpc2.2.4+modern lazarus hang? [was: FindInvalidUTF8Character hanging linux hard?]

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:37:04 CET 2009

2009/11/30 Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es>:

> Just speculating at this point, but if it simply hangs (e.g. stuck in a
> tight loop with interrupts disabled) it will be of no use.
> With my previous tests on real hardware I could see no messages neither on
> the console nor on a remote ssh session.
> I though that, maybe, using a virtual machine, I could examine the status of
> the guest, but I could not find anything in virtualbox documentation.

Just had an idea.  You can use the magic sysrq key to output a
backtrace after it's crashed (you probably have to use this in
conjunction with netconsole to be able to save/scroll the output).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key for more info.
Otherwise you're stuck with logging as much as you can.

Henry