[Lazarus] Some debug facts/improves

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 23:10:09 CEST 2009

Hello Lazarus-List,

Sunday, October 4, 2009, 7:21:44 PM, you wrote:

>> 1) Once stop on exception the assembler window will only appear if no
>> backtrace information is available. It will show the clser offended
>> line with debug information.

MW> I thought it was already the case :)

No it was not always the case, I do not know exactly the reason, but
without the changes in most cases the line is never displayed and even
the callstack changes :-? Looks like something in the assembler window
changes the stack in someway and the offended line is no more at which
it is expected. I'll recheck my changes in order to match the real
difference once I'm getting into the debugger inners.

>> 3) Records are now displayed in multiline also and the record type
>> name is displayed in the first line.
MW> Formatting of output shouldn't be done in the debugger classes. The idea
MW> is/was always to be able to hook in different debuggers. So a class
MW> should be reported in some kind of class like TGDBType (but then
MW> generalized as TDBGType), where the IDE can format the output as it
MW> wants depending on the location something is shown.
MW> In a hint you want lines, in a watches view you may want some
MW> collapsable tree.

I know, and that's my next step if there is interest. But by now and
in order to help me in my other projects I'm using the "default"
returned format, mostly to try to understand the code and at the same
time get something usable as fast as possible.

If you have changes in your local codebase will be great to send them
to me in a diff to not overlap any work. If you are planning to
improve debugger asap I'll stop my changes and wait, as your skills
with the debugger is around 1000 times mine :)

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun