[Lazarus] OOP basics - 2

Aleksa Todorovic alexione at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 19:08:53 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 18:35, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:

> On 4/15/2010 05:33, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>
>> Now, the question is also if a big source file is a bad thing or not. I have
>> adjusted my way of thinking. The code can be maintained with good tools (like
>> Lazarus) even in big files.
>> A big file is of course intimidating for someone who looks at it for the first
>> time, but so are hundreds of small files.
>

> personally speaking, i'd rather wade into one huge file than a forest of many small ones... especially when wading into someone else's code... it is much easier to find the routines in one huge file than it is to have to search many small ones for it and then remember where you were when you started the search ;)
>

>From my experience (looking at code of projects with severals hundred
thousands loc), if you have good refactoring tools in your development
environment, size of individual files doesn't matter that much,
because those tools allow you to have a picture of execution flow as
well as overall structure in terms of classes, functions, variables
without need to think of individual files.