[Lazarus] How to create: TButtonGrid descendant of TCustomDrawGrid ? (ik)

Peter E Williams foss.game.pascal.developer at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 29 11:17:50 CEST 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 05:55:13PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>
>> Download size:
>> --------------
>> DocView plus it's help file:
>>   Linux 32-bit    =  533KB
>>   Linux 64-bit    =  446KB
>>   Windows 32-bit  =  367KB
>>
>> Class Documentation:
>>   fpGUI      [fpgui-20100826.zip]    = 0.1MB
>>   RTL + FCL  [rtl_fcl-20100826.zip]  = 1.3MB
>
> The rtl.inf downloaded from your site is 2MB, the fcl one is 800kb.
>    rtl.chm 2.5MB  the FCL one is 1.3MB. Aside from that, the .INF format
>    simply holds less information, see below:
>
>>   LCL        [lcl-20100826.zip]      = 1.4MB
>
>> documentation. LCL class documentation in INF format is a mere 3.8MB in
>> size - compare that to the same documentation in HTML format (65MB) or CHM
>> format (12.1MB).
>
> This is a bit misleading, since it is not just a matter of format, but
> mostly reduced content.  The IPF documentation is generated differently, and
> the raw content is simply much less.
>
> As an example I created a screenshot comparison of the TStringlist topic,
> with the IPF help inlayed to the HTML/CHM topic:
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/strlst.png
>
> Note that the html output screenshot was clipped, but the see-also section
> follows.  (and is better formattted too, with descriptions for the links)
>
> Note that Classes and other complex type are a special case, but it does
> account for the LCL size being so small, since that mostly is classes.
>
> But e.g. the fact that in the html output, see also has an description
> and has links on top, goes for every lemma.

You cannot compare IPF format to HTML. You should compare it to RTF or PDF
or something similar.

The HTML format is the most verbose, but this is because it intended as an
on-line viewing system. The RTF/PDF whatnot are meant for printing. If
graeme based IPF on the linear writer, then it will be meant for printing
as well.

Michael.