[Lazarus] Delphi converter improvements

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Wed Feb 3 11:43:18 CET 2010

Hi.

>   I know a number of people who would be interested in your delphi
> converter, including myself :)

Good to know!
(Although it is not really MY converter, but I am willing to improve it.)

> An easy to use 3d modeling package has now gone open source:
> www.delgine.com
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/deled/

> The project has currently been written using Delphi, but some of us would
> love to be able to convert it over completely to Lazarus/freepascal so it is
> multi-platform :)

> This won't be easy as there is a LOT of delphi GUI forms and frames there,
> but it would be great if this could be done.

Wow, such a good test case!
I became curious and downloaded it and converted to Lazarus. Conversion worked
better than expected. All the forms I opened looked good.

My patches for converter make it less verbose, not asking so many trivial
questions. Now I see it still asks too many questions, about non existing
units and properties. It should be made configurable to be fully silent and
automatic.

> perhaps your delphi converter improvments could help us in this area :)

Yes, the amount of questions is more reasonable now but there are still many
things to improve.

Please remember that you still must make (lots of) manual changes to make your
code compile and work. The converter doesn't try to fix windows dependent code
or such things. In your code I see at least 2 things that need porting: OpenGL
and jpeg. There is support for both in FPC/Lazarus (GL and pasjpeg) but I have
no idea how difficult the porting is. At least the windows handles will not
work.

> Keep up the great work :)

> Perhaps I should try using lazarus from SVN instead of binaries and try your
> patch?

I hope I can develop the code for trunk. That would allow interaction with
people who use it. Besides the isolated patches can end up being ignored
forever, that's how I feel now...

<OT>
Your code has very many units. How did you solve the circular reference
problem? I didn't make any deep analysis of your code but it looks clean. I
could expect there are lots of cross references in such 3D design prog.
Or, maybe there are some units full of type casting but I missed them.
</OT>

Regards,
Juha Manninen