[Lazarus] FCL-Web and new WebDesign packages

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed Feb 3 23:39:55 CET 2010

I took minimalist approach because most new visitors will be
overwhelmed by things they have to read just to download the damned
thing. There are many reason why open source projects nowadays put a
big button on their front page just so anyone who visit the page for
the first time (either by word of mouth, googling, etc) can get
straight to it and try it the `product` right away.

What I meant wasn't being verbose or not, what I mean is to straight
to the point, sure Wordpress is popular but so does Google. Since its
early days Google took the minimalist approach to display just what it
the visitor would expect from a search engine, that is a place where
they can query the damned thing to get results, not some place where
the can read the latest gossip about Jennifer Anniston or fun facts
about gardening.

The download link, the three boxes ('What is it', 'Downloads',
'Developers'), and search form are within the "focus rectangle" of the
screen, a term in GUI study about user focus and flow. I put it there
in a concise manner but followed by a link so anyone, presumably the
ones who comfortable with Lazarus, or people who want to know more,
can follow it and get more information. The thing is, dumping
everything on the front page is not, IMHO, a good thing as it, as I
said earlier, overwhelmed the visitor both regular or first timer. I
think this kind of approach is refreshing and actually works because I
cant remember when the last time I have to read so many thing just to
get what I want.

As for 'Forum Postings' I took it from Lazarus front page. Maybe it
should be renamed to 'Recent Threads' or something similar, but I
think it is a positive approach as I didn't put the entire thread but
just the original poster and the title so it wont tax much space but
at the same time encourage experienced Lazarus developers to help
and/or take a look at the forum to answer any questions they found
interesting.