[Lazarus] GTK2 EraseBackgound

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 00:43:22 CET 2010

Hello Lazarus-List,

Saturday, February 6, 2010, 12:01:38 AM, you wrote:

GG> On 5 February 2010 20:56, JoshyFun <joshyfun at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More or less :) Mostly is tell to GTK2 that I'll paint something over
>> TEdit and please GTK do not erase it :) or I "you" do it let me know
>> to repaint my own content.

GG> I think you are fighting a 'no win' situation. Theme painting always
GG> seems to take priority. Some years ago when I still used LCL I wanted
[...]
GG> work up to a point with very limited customization - anything more and
GG> you end up having to implement the whole component as custom drawn.
GG> Hence fpGUI and MSEgui exist.

Every widgetset has its own pros/cons and most things can be done in
all of them. The "problem" with LCL is that it inherits a lot of
habits from Windows platforms which is not wrong it is simply a "as is
as". GTK2 seems to me (I only know a bit of it) that does not perform
a good abstraction between data and data representation, but I could
be completly wrong. fpGUI and others are very useful for some tasks and
very bad for others. QT seems to ambrace most of both worlds but it
requieres a big runtime to be installed and has a poor presence en
Windows environments.

From my point of view, the use of native widgets is the best choice
but some "advanced" things could be a nightmare :(

GG> So maybe it's time you implement that TJoshyFunEdit component. :-)

Oh! no! for sure no, that's not the intention. My intention was to add
a new facility to native TEdit, in fact I only need that facility for
Win32 but as it is very simple I'm using it to investigate other
widgetsets and try to resolve the same problem in different toys.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun