[Lazarus] Code navigation (was Flex/RIA Framework)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Feb 9 09:07:35 CET 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi Lee (and anybody else),
>
> In you flash demo, I saw something interesting in Delphi (sorry, not
> related to Flex/RIA) - the code navigation highlighted in the attached
> screenshot.
>
> Is that something standard with Delphi or is it a add-on package? I've been
> wanting to implement something like that in Lazarus for ages. I remember
> Visual Basic 6 also had code navigation like that, and it worked quite
> well. While in the editor, you immediately know in which class/method you
> are by simply glancing at the toolbar and navigation is easy.

I always hated that thing in VB.

If you need to look at that to know where you are, maybe your procedures are
too long. Here at work we use the following rule of thumb:
a procedure may never be longer as 50 lines. If it is, it should be split out.
An advantage of that is that most of the time, the procedure header is
visible.

Michael.