[Lazarus] TurboPower OnGuard changes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:37:23 CET 2010

On 10 February 2010 17:12, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> How well did you test the reading of HDD serial number?

I think I found another alternative to find the HDD serial number.
Getting the boot define is fairly easy, so is the serial number for a
ATA (IDE) hard disk. As I said, SCSI and SATA is a bit more difficult.
But there seems to be a new method that should work too - I tested it
in three very different machines, each have a different version of
Linux too. And more importantly, all without ROOT access.

Option 1)
UUID look-up can be done via /var/log/udev
This same file also gives you ALL the information about each device,
including the long and short serial number.

Option 2)
Knowing the UUID or device (eg: /dev/sda1) one can simply do a lookup
in the /dev/disk/by-id/ directory. Each file in that directory has the
So by simply parsing the name, you can find the serial number of the device.

Can anybody else running Linux, and preferably not Ubuntu (as I am
using Ubuntu), have a look and see if they have the same files with
information about hard drives?

  - Graeme -