[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jan 20 09:14:16 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Notification of hard drive space available and how much will be used by
>  selected features.
>
> * different internal archive options: gzip, lzma, zip, tar.gz etc...

This might prove difficult. on linux, only .tar.gz is guaranteed to be
supported. If you want any of the others, you'll have to deploy the
uncompression engine as well.

> * Even though the setup is a single file setup, it must support native
>  executables. That includes various architectures: 32 or 64 bit, linux,
>  *bsd or windows exectubles etc.  Once "full" setup must support all of
>  the above. We are considering making a split between *nix type OSes and
>  Windows OSes though. After all, this is how it is currently done for
>  Linux, Mac and Windows, so end-users are used to that idea.

? Most products I know come in separate 32/64 bit installers.

The ones you mentioned only exist as 32-bit installers, which is why they
have only 1 setup.

Michael.