[Lazarus] cross-distro (and OS) app installation - what would you like?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:34:48 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not in the days I used RedHat. I'm talking long ago, from Redhat 5.0 to
> about 8.1. :-)

Maybe you used it in the wrong way.

The "rpm" utility doesn't solve the dependencies, it's like the "dpkg"
utility from Debian.

So you don't use that, but you use another utility that solves the
dependencies and calls rpm to do the install work. Just like you don't
want to use dpkg directly in Ubuntu.

In Mandriva you do like this: urpmi mypackage.rpm (it also has a GUI)

In Red Hat it should be some similar utility, I think "apt-get". In
Ubuntu it is Synaptic maybe? Don't remember exactly the name ...

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho