[Lazarus] LCL TPQConnection vs ZeosLib ZConnection

Bihar Anwar bihar_anwar at rocketmail.com
Mon Jul 5 08:16:36 CEST 2010

Thanks to all for your replies.

Many of you including Michael and Reimar mention that Pascal is unfairly
viewed in a poor light by people using other languages.
I know for a fact that some deride the use of begin..end in compound
statements as though this makes the language verbose.
If that's what makes Pascal inferior then I think that's superficial as
surely every language needs some demarcator of a compound
statement.

@Hans-Peter, maybe my son will one day be a great programmer but as for me
making  a "game-makers library for Lazarus", I wouldn't
know where to start!

@Michael you say you use it in your day job, I have used vb6 as a front end
for a database application with an access database as the back end
    I guess Lazarus would be very easily up to that task.

@Mark I would definitely view in-house projects at work as using Lazarus in
the day job

@Peter
     I never heard of Nassi/Schniderman charts before. I just googled it and
found some info, I'm afraid I tend to design as I code and promise myself
 to come back and make it all nice later (a promise rarely kept). I know
it's the wrong way to do it but I find that in a lot of problems ideas only
come to me as I code.
It's like a journey where at each stage you know where to go next but if
someone asked you how exactly to get there at the start you couldn't tell
them.
but then maybe my inability to plan ahead is down to never forcing myself to
learn to. Maybe I should explore Nassi/Schniderman charts a little.

> I tried and failed to
>convince the bosses at work to port their Pascal and ADA code to Delphi.
>Delphi was not popular enough. They chose to rewrite a lot in MS C/C++
>because that was a Micro$oft product and was officially supported by
>Micro$oft.

>From what I read on the web a lot of Delphi stuff is now being rewritten in
other
languages especially C# which would make you wonder about the future (for
Delphi at least)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer