[Lazarus] Tutorial Compiling/installing FPC and Lazarus from Sources of SVN

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Fri Jul 23 16:34:56 CEST 2010

Marcos Douglas wrote torstai, 22. heinäkuuta 2010 20:09:54:
> > BTW,
> > At the moment we have two wiki pages about installing.
> > Juha has started to clean up / update the 'Getting_Lazarus' page and
> > put each target onto a page of its own, which IMO is better than
> > putting every thing onto one page.
> > Eventually the other page should be removed and there should be only
> > one left. Preferably it should be renamed to something with install,
> > installing or installation in its name.
> > So better put your stuff there.
>
> If Juha not finished clean/update yet, IMO is better he terminate first,
> right? After, he can move this tutorial or talk to me if he prefer...

Please feel free to continue your work.
I improved the Getting Lazarus page but I am not really happy with the
results. There are two wiki pages, or three including yours, and a BuildFAQ
about getting and installing Lazarus and FPC, and then the big FPC manuals.

My purpose was to make something short and concentrated for people (like me)
who just want to get it done and not read a long detailed manual.
The task is difficult because there are so many combinations.
Getting release Lazarus for Windows, Mac, Ubuntu Linux, Redhat lLinux etc...
Getting svn trunk Lazarus for Windows, Mac, Ubuntu Linux, Redhat lLinux etc.,
using different SVN clients. Getting those SVN clients. Using those SVN
clients etc...
Then there is getting and installing FPC using different methods, which really
doesn't belong to Getting Lazarus page.

The problem with wiki pages is that people add detailed info there but don't
or can't organize the whole page structure. Like on Getting Lazarus,
instructions for getting SVN trunk version are pretty simple. Then somebody
(with good intentions) added long instructions, onto the same page, about how
to use TortoiseSVN on Windows. Then somebody (again with good intentions)
added his long Windows CMD scrips to automate tasks. They are not needed for
most people.
As a result the page became very long and the relevant information was very
difficult to find. Other wiki pages have the same problem.

I separated some OS / platform specific sections to their own sub-pages.
Later I started to think it would be better to make many complete pages each
for one platform only. They would contain partly duplicated info but it would
all be relevant to the person who reads the page.
Like:
  Getting and installing Lazarus for Windows
  Getting and installing Lazarus for Mac
  Getting and installing Lazarus for Linux (maybe separate pages for Ubuntu
and some other distros)

would cover release and svn versions of Lazarus for only one platform / page.
And the same thing for FPC:

  Getting and installing FPC for Windows
  Getting and installing FPC for Mac
  Getting and installing FPC for Linux

It is important not to pollute the pages with some seldom needed details.
There can be other comprehensive manuals for that.

Marcos Douglas: if you have vision and energy you could make a bigger revamp
with these download/install pages, not just adding one more page there.

Regards.
Juha