[Lazarus] Installing lazarus on Windows, horror story goes on

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 29 15:40:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Ok,
> we had a Skype phone+chat session with my friend again trying to install
> Lazarus, this time on a Windows XP laptop. I thought it must be an easy task
> and we are done quickly. I was wrong again!
>
> He managed to install Lazarus by himself. So yes, it is easy to install but
> read on...  First he made a directory for my program under C:\. Then he
> opened the project with Lazarus. Everything looked good. Then he clicked
> "Run" button --> "cannot write to directory lib" ... or something.
> Apparently he did't have enough rights for the folder. But now, why was he
> able to create the folder through "My Computer" if he has no rights for it?
> I just don't know Windows enough to understand it.

If you really think it is a permission problem, why do you blame this on Lazarus,
when you should be complaining to Microsoft ?

And if peazip has a weird interface, again: why blame this on Lazarus ?
You should contact the peazip maintainer and complain to him;
Lazarus does not enforce a particular interface.

I've installed Lazarus on many windows PC's, including Vista (with all it's
strange security settings) and I never had any problems. And this was with the
vanilla installer, no special tricks.

I fully understand that such things are frustrating, but I hardly think it is fair
to blame these experiences on Lazarus.

If you want, I can show you similar problems as you experience with just about any
program on windows. They are not hard to reproduce.

Michael.