[Lazarus] Suggestion again: remove GTK1 from IDE and LCL

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Thu Jun 3 23:12:40 CEST 2010

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
>> There seems to be a lot of code used/usable by both interfaces.
>> Maintenance should be a lot easier if the common stuff is not
>> duplicated,
>
> This idea was proven wrong in the history of LCL-Gtk2. And not just
> wrong, it has costed us hundreds of hours of development.
>
> Because of that we don't have common code between LCL-Win32 and
> LCL-WinCE and it was a great idea. I am pretty sure that huges amounts
> of LCL-Win32 changes would break LCL-WinCE and just fill my bug
> tracker with regressions. While if people want fixes from Win32 I can
> just copy them and test.

While implementing graphics I was not so sure the dual code base of
win32-winCE was such good idea. I had to code it twice, with a result
that my code slightly differs on both. Since while I was testing on one,
I fixed some bugs, which also had to be applied to the other. In this
process I forgot a few in both codebases.

I do agree that sharing has its issues, but I hope you will understand
that splitting similar code also has issues. Both are not ideal.

Marc