[Lazarus] Lazarus + FreeBSD

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jun 4 16:40:30 CEST 2010

On 6/4/2010 02:53, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:32:23AM -0400, waldo kitty wrote:
>> On 6/3/2010 14:33, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>>> For practical reason it has always been the better way to install fpc
>>> and lazarus per user, not globally in the systems /usr/local tree. It is
>>> easier to swap compilers or mess with the sources of something that
>>> otherwise would be r/o. Concluding there is no need for a binary package
>>> if you ask me, I wouldn't use it - although I do use a precompiled fpc.
>>
>> what would it take for the various *nix flavor maintainers to fix their install
>> scripts so that FPC and/or Lazarus were installed in this manner? it would
>> definitely fix a lot of headaches when it comes to installing the prepared
>> release packages...
>
> I always do install them to some prefix (e.g. ~/fpc240) and then symlink
> the necessary files to ~/bin and ~/etc

i don't know that i've ever been able to choose where to install when using
package tools like apt-get, yum, and the like when i've attempted such on one of
my *nix boxen... on my win98 box, when it was operational, i seem to recall
maybe being asked for an install directory but win98 is basically a free-for-all
when it comes to security and home directories... w2kpro, on the other hand is
what xp, vista and win7 (i guess) are based on and it has dedicated "home"
directories for users... i've never tried to install to my home directory on
w2kpro so i'm not sure if that install would be dedicated solely to one user or
if it would show up for all users and they not be able to access it due to
security restraints... on most any windows, though, i've gotten to where i
install to the root of the disk because of the problems FPC and/or Lazarus have
with spaces in the directory (and file) names...

yes, going the svn route or downloading the sources and doing the build and
install do allow one to specify the installation directory prefix but one has to
install svn software and learn how to dance that particular line dance which is
what i was commenting about, above... that method does appear to be easier for
adding the cross-platform compilation tools necessary...