[Lazarus] Lazarus + FreeBSD

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jun 4 16:48:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 10:40:30AM -0400, waldo kitty wrote:
> >> scripts so that FPC and/or Lazarus were installed in this manner? it would
> >> definitely fix a lot of headaches when it comes to installing the prepared
> >> release packages...
> >
> > I always do install them to some prefix (e.g. ~/fpc240) and then symlink
> > the necessary files to ~/bin and ~/etc
>
> i don't know that i've ever been able to choose where to install when using
> package tools like apt-get, yum, and the like when i've attempted such on one of
> my *nix boxen.

I was talking about the FreePascal/FreeBSD (and also /Linux) reference
.tar.gz distribution.

Moreover, the FreeBSD port DOES support local ports dirs,

>From a notes file, the line I used was:

make install PREFIX=/home/marcov/testport PKG_DBDIR=/home/marcov/registerdb \
INSTALL_AS_USER=1 DISTDIR=~/distfiles/ WRKDIR=~/work

pkg_add has -p and -C parameters together with some PKG_ environment vars
(see the manual) for this.

> .. on my win98 box, when it was operational, i seem to recall
> maybe being asked for an install directory but win98 is basically a free-for-all
> when it comes to security and home directories... w2kpro, on the other hand is
> what xp, vista and win7 (i guess) are based on and it has dedicated "home"
> directories for users... i've never tried to install to my home directory on
> w2kpro so i'm not sure if that install would be dedicated solely to one user or

On NT+ systems this is not recommended, because many of the binutils that FPC
uses still might have problems with spaces in the filename, and the homedir
on e.g. WinXP default has spaces in them. (and their layout is different)

> if it would show up for all users and they not be able to access it due to
> security restraints... on most any windows, though, i've gotten to where i
> install to the root of the disk because of the problems FPC and/or Lazarus have
> with spaces in the directory (and file) names...

It's more the utils than FPC/Lazarus itself. And it is getting less and
less. FPC 2.4.1 + Lazarus/trunk might be safe.

> yes, going the svn route or downloading the sources and doing the build and
> install do allow one to specify the installation directory prefix but one has to
> install svn software and learn how to dance that particular line dance which is
> what i was commenting about, above... that method does appear to be easier for
> adding the cross-platform compilation tools necessary...

Afaik deb and rpm also have options for local usage. It is just more trouble
to setup, and requires reading man pages.