[Lazarus] Lazarus + FreeBSD

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sun Jun 6 04:31:02 CEST 2010

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, waldo kitty wrote:
>> basically "per user"...
>>
>>> The FPC installs for *unix allow you to install wherever you want,
>>> provided you have permissions for it.
>>
>> i've not seen that when i've installed the Laz packages that i've
>> toyed with on my *buntu systems... yes, they are the integrated stable
>> release packages...
>
> I don't think Lazarus offers such a script. The FPC compiler itself can be
> installed from a simple .tar file, wherever you want.

right... ok...

> None of the OS packaging mechanisms (rpm, .deb) allow you to do a user
> install (well, not without very complicated tricks)

ahhh... ok... so the available package installs are not really the "best" way to
go for several cases... they are fine for single OS projects but to go past
that, one needs to expand one's horizons and look at the tar files and/or svn
updates...

[trim]

>> it is the adding of the other platforms cross-compilation items that's
>> the real buggar and stop sign that currently gets in the way... or at
>> least it has been a deep mystery of majikal incantations until the
>> recent talks with the examples given...
>
> Creating a cross-compile setup isn't easy and so not for the faint of
> heart. This is also true if you want to do it for GCC.

i hear that... i've watched that dance from my seat for a while...

> It takes time, something we all lack; I think that is the main reason no
> ready-made packages exist.

that, too, is fully understandable...

i want to thank you and the others who have participated in the "cross-compile"
threads... the info given has been very beneficial... much moreso than that
which has been available... at least it has been understandable and realtively
easy enough for a layman entering this "world" (of FPC/Lazarus) to understand...