[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Thu Jun 17 22:49:20 CEST 2010

waldo kitty wrote:
> On 6/17/2010 04:29, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 17/06/2010, Luca Olivetti  wrote:
>>> SQLite allows multiple programs to be connected to the same database
>>> simultaneously. The embedded version of Firebird does not. If you run
>>
>> Well, that sounds like a rather silly argument. I thought the whole
>> idea of "embedded databases" is to get one application to access one
>> database at one time

> i'm (still) trying to figure out why one would have an embedded database
> with multiple embedded apps attempting to talk to it... concurrently or
> otherwise... i would think that any kind of concurrent multiple access
> needs would be better served by a (dedicated?) database server...
>
> i still find it amazing, though, that in today's world, so many opt to
> use a sql database of some kind even for smallish projects where a nice
> simple self-designed binary data file would suffice... in many cases, it
> is akin to swatting a fly with a hydrogen bomb ;)

I would imagine that the project would have to be pretty smallish to not meet
the justification to use something FB emedded given all the extra features you
get since even smallish apps I've personally written sooner or later end up
having more complex data persistence requirements to one degree or another.

The need for just a couple of INI file settings aside of course.

Nice to be able to set a couple of configuration settings and have a full blown
FB server should the need arise.  If it doesn't, the only downsize is that I'm
stuck with a very versatile storage mechanism.

Sounds like a win/win to me :-)

--
Warm Regards,

Lee