[Lazarus] Embedded database for Lazarus/Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:07:15 CEST 2010

On 18 June 2010 20:58, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> How did you come to the conclusion that databases == slow?

I guess with databases it depends on how well managed the database is,
how well the database tables are designed, and how skilled the
developer is at writing SQL. I remember when I started at our company
(which I worked at some years earlier too), the first thing I did was
look where the program was slow. One report took 2-3 minutes to run. I
looked at the code and simply said: WTF!  10 minutes of refactoring
the code (undoing their mess) and rewrote the SQL statements... I got
that initial 2-3 minute report down to 4 seconds.

So in summary, using a database doesn't instantly mean faster! Binary
files or Databases - you still need a skilled developer to make it
work.

  - Graeme -