[Lazarus] Wiki instructions for installing FPC trunk

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sun Jun 27 22:22:46 CEST 2010

Mattias Gärtner wrote :

>> Then it says "it is recommended to build a fpc package for your
>> distribution (.deb or .rpm file)".
>> Why would it be recommended? I tried to build such RPM package when
>> installing FPC trunk for the first time, but I failed.
>
> ... then the rpm should be fixed.

There is no ready-made rpm for trunk version available. Now we are talking
about building the rpm package, not using an existing one.

> For example because "make install"
> -installs under Linux under /usr/local/lib, while the packages install under
/usr/lib

Following the new wiki instructions it goes to your home directory :
  make install INSTALL_PREFIX=~

> Everyone of them easily leads to 'strange' compilation errors and the
> mailing list, forums and chats are full of questions from people which
> use "make install".

Maybe because it is not documented in a brief way, in a place easy to find.

> For those wanting to use make install, the wiki should
> point to Marcos howto.

Sorry, where is it? I have seen it but don't find it now.

Mattias, based on your comments someone could think installing the svn version
of FPC is difficult. No, it is very easy. The section I added to wiki is
rather short.:
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Building_and_installing_the_svn_version_of_fpc

When I first installed the trunk FPC myself, I copied fpc.cfg from /etc and
edited it using a trial-and-error method, because at that moment I didn't have
time and patience to read the big FPC developers' manual.

Now I copied a short (4 lines) version from Marc Weustink's mail. It is really
so easy there is no reason to keep it as a secret, or to give the impression
that it is a difficult task.

Regards,
Juha