[Lazarus] Wiki instructions for installing FPC trunk

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Jun 28 03:14:10 CEST 2010

On 6/27/2010 16:22, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Mattias Gärtner wrote :
>
>>> Then it says "it is recommended to build a fpc package for your
>>> distribution (.deb or .rpm file)".
>>> Why would it be recommended? I tried to build such RPM package when
>>> installing FPC trunk for the first time, but I failed.
>>
>> ... then the rpm should be fixed.
>
> There is no ready-made rpm for trunk version available. Now we are talking
> about building the rpm package, not using an existing one.

that's my understanding from your post, as well...

FWIW: i'm glad that someone who knows more details than many "newbies" (and
there are different categories of "newbie") is working thru this to make things
easier for them... i'm not a "newbie" in the strict sense but i am to the
FPC/LAZ stuff (even though i've been reading and lightly participating for a
year or more) and many things are not as easy as they appear to be... not only
in the *nix side of an install but also with other OS'...

as you say, the wiki is "OK" for some stuff but it leaves a lot to be desired...
i can't count the hours i've spent wading thru the wiki(s) trying to absorb the
information and then to apply it in a reasonable and logical fashion only to
fail and fail and fail... after that, i feel it best to keep reading and trying
to learn more in case i missed some subtle point rather than to vent my
frustrations on the list(s)... deity knows that i (and others similar to me)
cannot update the wiki stuff when we are unable to make things work... i have,
however, found some places where instructions were apparently for older versions
and haven't been updated for the newer releases... all i can do is try to
persevere and hope that a solution comes to light sooner rather than later...

i, for one, greatly appreciate your efforts and your posts in this aspect...
thank you very much... not only from myself but others who find themselves in my
situation and who don't post in these lists or even carry them...