[Lazarus] Parser

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 23:53:46 CEST 2010

Florian Klämpfl schrieb:

>> Why do you think Pascal would lose its glamor when (or if) FPC can
>> compile other languages?
>
> ... because it increases the maintainance work on fpc. Even with one
> front end only we are almost unable to keep the issue count under
> control. I'am pretty sure that more front ends will be rejected without
> more people working on bug fixing in fpc.

I don't think that the workload is increasing so much. Of course every
FE deserves its own maintenance, but once the syntax (parser) is
implemented, there remains nothing to do on it.

>> I would have thought it would be just the opposite:
>>
>> If you could compile, say, Modula (or C/C++) with FPC, you would have
>> direct access to a huge & time-tested resource of libraries etc which
>> you could directly incorporate into your applications,
>
> This can be done already using compilers supporting these languages

These compilers are not available for all FPC-supported platforms, and
linking their binaries to an FPC application may not work, due to
different object formats, RTL etc.

A common compiler also could eliminate the need for writing interfaces
for such libraries - to some degree.

DoDi