[Lazarus] RFC: remove StayOnTop for splash screen

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Mar 2 19:33:33 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 19:21:02 +0100
JoshyFun <joshyfun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Lazarus-List,
>
> Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 2:54:05 AM, you wrote:
>
> MG> I did that. Now it does not appear in gprof any more. Saves a few
> MG> percents. I doubt someone will notice.
>
> My experiences with gprof in Windows shows me that it is almost
> useless for this kind of tests. As it is a pooling tracer it must take
> a lof of "snapshots" to get a clear picture of a process, so it must
> be repeated for many time, like several minutes. Tracing operations
> that involves only a few seconds results in a non real time
> distribution which will change a lot simply by removing or adding one
> line of code.

I use it under Linux with lot of success for single threaded apps.
It takes one hundred samples per second and does not slow down the
program. You need at least a few seconds of computation and you can
ignore anything that takes less than 0.1 second.
Beside the samples it also shows the number of each call and who calls
whom. So if a function was called more often than expected you know
what to fix.

> Is there any invasive tracer that can be linked with fpc/lazarus ?

valgrind.

see here
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Profiling

Mattias