[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 6 20:07:35 CET 2010

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 18:32:45 +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote about
Re: [Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?:

> Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:
>
> > With the added downside that it's far from certain that you'll ever
> > be able to make fpGUI look native on all platforms: one of
> > its explicit design goals was to look exactly the same on all
> > platforms, which is contrary to the Lazarus design goal.
>
> There is nothing bad about an widgetset with the same look&feel on
> all platforms.

Do you mean like the original Mozilla? ... :-)

> IMO only its *use* is restricted to specific applications.

When I use a specific desktop platform, I want any and all applications
to integrate with the other applications.  This means I want native
look-and-feel everywhere.

[snip]
> IMO just the IDE were a good example for an application that *should*
> look&feel almost the same on multiple platforms, to multi-platform
> application developers. The IDE developers should be freed from
> widgetset/component specific problems.

Well, when I use Lazarus under GNOME, I want it to look like any other
Gtk application.  Consequently, the current practice of using the Gtk
widgets is just fine.

Dave  [RLU #314465]